Name: Hugh Michael Jackman
Nicknames: Hughey, Worm, Bear
Birthday/Age: October 12, 1968 / 44
Hometown: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Residence: New York City and Sydney, Australia
Height: 6’2″ / 1.89 m
Relationship Status: Married (Deborra-Lee Furness)
Children: Oscar Maximillian (b. May 15, 2000), Ava Eliot (b. July 10, 2005)
Pets: French bulldog (Dali), bearded dragon (Da Vinci)
Parents: Chris Jackman and Grace Watson
Siblings: 2 older sisters (Sonya, Zoe), 2 older brothers (Ian, Ralph), 1 younger half-sister
Hobbies: Golfing, windsurfing, playing piano/guitar, supporting charities
• Attended Pymble Public School (primary school) and Knox Grammar School. Hugh enrolled at the University of Technology in Sydney and graduated with a BA in Communications, as well as the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts of Edith Cowan University in Perth, Western Australia, from which he graduated in 1994.
• Hugh Jackman is left-handed.
• When he was eight, his parents dissolved their marriage. His father raised him and his siblings after their mother returned to England.
• Both children, Oscar and Ava, are adopted.
• Has very poor vision. He can’t read a menu without the aid of contact lenses.
• Considers sushi to be his comfort food.
• Favorite drink (alcoholic) is a gin and tonic.
• If deserted on an island, Hugh said he’d want an album of Rolling Stones songs carefully compiled by himself.
• His favorite play is Shakespeare’s Henry V and his favorite line within the play is when Prince Hal states, “We few. We happy few.”
• Took stunt driving lessons for his role in Swordfish.
• Along with singing, Hugh can also play the piano, guitar, and violin.
• Hugh used to be afraid of heights a child, but his brother helped him get over the fear. Together, they would jump off a diving board, with each one getting progressively higher. He’s said that they repeated this over and over until he wasn’t scared anymore.
• On the other hand, Hugh does not like when dolls come to life. In his younger years, he was especially afraid of Chucky.
• The final scene of X2 was shot in London because Hugh Jackman was already in Prague filming Van Helsing. Wolverine’s hair looks especially big in this scene because Hugh’s long hair was tucked under a wig.
• The Wolverine line “What do they call you? Wheels?” said to Xavier in X-Men was actually improvised by Hugh.
• Hugh recalls the most embarrassing moment of his life: “The first show I ever did, singing and dancing, was Beauty and the Beast. I was playing Gaston. Gaston has red tights, knee high boots, and it’s very physical. I had headaches everyday for two months. I went to an astropath [psychic] and he said ‘Well, you’re dehydrated.’ So of course [following his advice] I had four liters of water. I go down to the stage, getting ready for my first number… and I’m like, ‘I really need to go again.’ [The routine is] the most cardiovascular song I’ve ever done: literally I’m picking up Belle and as I pick her up, I stopped singing and right in that moment I realized the muscles you need to release in order to sing are the ones you do not want to release if you need to go.”
• Hugh’s first job was as a gas station attendant on the midnight to dawn shift.
• Of the claws Hugh had to done for his role as Wolverine, he said, “I use them as back scratchers.”
• If he weren’t an actor, Hugh has said that he would have become a daytime television host or a stockbroker.
• A talented singer, Hugh also sang at his friend Nicole Kidman’s wedding to Keith Urban.